Collapsible water bottles have been around for quite some time now, and its popularity is ever-rising. The collapsible feature is enough to attract customers, but that’s not all these bottles offer. There are many other benefits of using collapsible water bottles such as: they are made of superior quality material, they are sturdy and long-lasting, don’t break or chip easily. There are lots of collapsible bottles available that are suitable for storing liquids of high or low temperatures, i.e. hot or cold drinks too.
Collapsible water bottles are very good for traveling or outdoor use. When you’re packing stuff for camping, hiking, or trekking, you want to keep the luggage as light as possible. But water is indispensable and you can’t start your trip without water. Yet, carrying water in metal pots means having to carry extra heavy luggage, and using disposable water bottles means ruining the environment and contributing to harmful wastes. In such conditions, the best choice for you is to use collapsible water bottles. When not in use, you can just collapse or fold the bottle and pack it inside your luggage which doesn’t need much space. They are not only small when collapsed, but light too.
So, collapsible water bottles are your ultimate outdoor companion. Once you start using collapsible bottles, I bet you won’t be able to go back to using normal ones.
Confused about which bottle to buy? Here are our top 7 selections of the best collapsible water bottles. Read on to discover their unique features and make an informed choice before investing in one (or many).
Best Collapsible Water Bottles
1. Baiji Silicone Water Bottle
The first one to make it to our list is this Baiji water bottle made of silicone. It is a flexible water bottle that can be folded to a really small size when not in use, hence, is super space-saving. Besides, the silicone material is 100% food-grade. This bottle is stain, odor, and taste-resistant. It comes in a pack of 2 bottles, individually packed. What’s more is it is freezable and refrigerator-friendly. So, you can use it as a normal freeze bottle too.
This Baiji silicone water bottle has a metal carabiner. It has a retainer band so that you can attach it to your bag or luggage with the clip-on. It also has an attached cap so that you don’t lose it while traveling. And a portion of the profits made from this item goes into dolphin rescue organizations. So, you have another reason to buy this product.
- Available Colors: Pink & Blue, sold in sets of two
- Capacity: 20 oz
- Rollable and foldable, flexible collapsible water bottles
- Made of food-grade silicone, 100% healthy and safe
- Metal carabiner, retainer band
- Attached cap for safety
2. Nomander Foldable Bottle
The next item to make it to our list is this superb product from Nomander. This collapsible water bottle comes with a leak-proof twist cap and is ideal for traveling and carrying with you during journeys. It folds up to a small size and saves space. It also comes with a clip-on so that you easily attach it to your luggage or bags, or you can even loop it around your wrist for quick access.
The Nomander collapsible bottle is made of sturdy silicone material and is very durable. Moreover, it has a leak-proof cap that makes it your perfect travel companion. The silicone used in this bottle is free of BPA, BPS, PVC, lead, latex, and all other harmful chemicals. It can be used to carry hot and cold drinks, is freezer and dishwasher safe, and has a large mouth for dropping ice or fruit cubes into your drink. So, overall, it’s a versatile product that can be used in many ways.
- Product Color: Available in 7 shades
- Capacity: 22 oz
- Material: Food-grade, toxin-free silicone
- Suitable for hot and cold liquid
3. Platypus Ultralight Bottle
The next one on our list is this flexible water bottle from Platypus. Unlike the first two items on our list, it is not made of silicone. The material used in this flexible water bottle is superior-quality, food-grade polyethylene (inner lining) which is BPA and BPS free and constitutes no health hazards. It is one of the biggest collapsible water bottles on our list, with a capacity of 2-litre. The flexible design makes it really small when not in use. You can just fold and stack it into a corner of your luggage, or even in your pant pockets. It is extremely lightweight too, weighing just about 1.3 oz.
Although it doesn’t retain shape while being emptied, but it has a stable base and stands upright when it’s filled with water. If you have platypus water filtration systems, this item will pair with them perfectly.
- Material: Soft plastic outer cover with food-grade polyethylene inner lining
- Color: Clear
- Capacity: 2 liter
- Flexible, folds up to a small size that fits into a pocket
4. Nefeeko Collapsible Water Bottle
Another silicone product made it to the list. This Nefeeko collapsible water container is a little different from the other selections we have mentioned in the list already. When it comes to the collapsible function, this bottle doesn’t fold up completely, rather, it becomes a smaller water bottle with reduced capacity. It is not the most space-saving item on the list, but it will be your top choice if you want to use this unique feature. When collapsed, you can still use it as a smaller bottle.
The Nefeeko collapsible water bottle is made of food-grade platinum silicone material that is free of BPA and other toxins. It has a superb temperature tolerance and can be used to contain piping hot to freezing cold drinks. However, since it doesn’t have outer insulation to protect your hands, using it for too hot drinks is not recommended.
When collapsed, this bottle reduces about 50% of its size and capacity. It comes with a leak-proof cap, and thanks to the wide mouth, it is easy to clean and easy to pour ice or add-ons to your drinks.
- Capacity: 550 ml
- Color: Black/ Blue/ Green/ Orange
- Metal carabiner for easy attachment
- Flexible and durable
- Temperature tolerance: -40°F to 446°F
5. Nalgene Wide Mouth Canteen
This Nalgene water bottle is another product made of plastic and is a flexible bottle rather than collapsible. It completely folds down to a really small size that you can fit into your pocket when not in use.
Although the exact material of the product is not mentioned by the company, it is composed of a soft and clear plastic material. It is also compatible with all major water filters and has a leak-proof cap. It has a wide mouth for added convenience and is slightly tolerant to hot drinks (up to 220 degrees F).
- Plastic material
- Clear color
- Looptop cap
6. Semetor Collapsible Water Bottle
Semetor bottle, one of the best collapsible water bottles, made of silicone. It has a metal base and metal carabiner. This is made of BPA free food grade silicone and doesn’t cause an unpleasant odor in water. It is also very easy to clean. This collapsible water bottle can also be used as a traveling cup and used for hot liquids like tea or coffee. It has a high heat tolerance up to 480 degrees F.
- Capacity: 1.1 pounds
- Color: Pink
- Metal frame, carabiner
- BPA-free health safe material
- Wide mouth
7. Vapur Element Flexible Water Bottle
The last selection for our list is another flexible water bottle, this time from Vapur. It is made of food-grade plastic and is odor and taste-free. The element used in this bottle is BPA free too. It comes with a carabiner and you can easily attach it to your luggage. It has a wide mouth and flip cap which is spills and leakage proof. If you prefer flexible water bottles, then this one will be a good choice for you.
- Color: Fire (red & black)/ Water (white & blue)/ Gray & Teal
- Capacity: 0.7 liter
- Foldable, reusable
ALSO READ: Best Brushes To Clean Bottles
And this concludes our list of the best collapsible water bottles. Keeping in mind the requirements of different users, we have tried to include a lot of varieties in our selection of items, in terms of features, material, and product design. If you make an informed decision before buying, you’ll not regret the purchase.
Benefits Of Collapsible Water Bottle
Of course, the biggest benefit of using a water bottle of this kind is the collapsible feature. When the bottle is not in use, you can collapse or fold it down to a really small size and pack it up in your luggage. This is a very helpful feature to have. When you’re camping or traveling, a collapsible water bottle comes in handy and reduces your luggage to a great extent. But apart from that, there are a lot of other advantages of collapsible water bottles, such as:
- Economical: Collapsible water bottles are pocket-friendly and easily available in the market.
- Superior material: Most collapsible water bottles are made of silicone material which is BPA free and totally safe to drink from. Plus, unlike plastics, they are environment-friendly too.
- Light and sturdy: Collapsible water bottles are a lot lighter than steel, copper or glass water bottles, and a lot sturdier than plastic ones. So, it’s the best of both worlds.
- Easy to clean: These water bottles are very easy to clean.
- Refrigerator friendly: Collapsible water bottles are also refrigerator and freezer friendly. They don’t burst or crack when used in the freezer. So, you can use these bottles in many ways. They are pretty versatile this way.
- Recyclable: Collapsible bottles are 100% recyclable, so that’s another good news for the environment, as they don’t add to environmental waste.
So, as you can see, there are ample benefits of using collapsible water bottles, especially when you’re traveling, camping, hiking, or backpacking.
How Collapsible Water Bottles Work?
There are many different types of collapsible water bottles and all of them work differently. Here is a comparative study of how different collapsible bottles work:
- Rigid vs. Flexible: When it comes to collapsible properties, there are two types of bottles available.
The first one is rigid, made of silicone or similar material which is collapsed partially when not in use. It generally retains its shape even when it contains no liquid, and you have to push and collapse the bottle to make it smaller. One advantage of using this type of collapsible bottle is: since it retains its shape even when liquid gets empty, it’s easier to use on a journey, or with one hand. However, when it comes to saving space, it doesn’t contribute a lot. It just gets comparatively shorter when collapsed. But this is useful if you want to carry two sizes of bottles because even when collapsed, it can contain a little bit of water.
The other one is a flexible water bottle which is generally made of plastics of varying kinds and quality. The specialty of this kind of collapsible bottle is it can be completely folded when not in use. That’s why, if you’re looking to save a lot of space, it is the ideal choice for you. However, on the flip side, it loses shape as the liquid gets empty, and it cannot be used with one hand without spilling.
- Attached/detached cap: Collapsible water bottles can have different types of caps, either attached with a string to the bottle or completely detached. Since you’ll be using in on-road, it is better to get bottles with attached caps so that you don’t lose it accidentally.
- Hot or cold liquid: Based on the material used, a collapsible bottle can be ideal for either only cold liquid or both hot and cold. If you’re planning to carry tea or coffee in your collapsible bottles, read the label before buying to know if it’s suitable for hot drinks.
Which Material Is Used For Making Flexible Water Bottles?
Generally, collapsible water bottles are made of either plastic or silicone. If you’re buying a plastic water bottle, you must make sure that it’s BPA-free, recyclable, and free from all kinds of toxins, and 100% safe for storing and consuming liquids.
There are many different types of plastics that go into making flexible water bottles, such as:
Polyethylene Terephthalate: Most commonly known as PET bottles, this material is one of the most widely used compositions that go into making water bottles.
HDPE: High-density Polyethylene is another commonly used material that is flexible and durable.
LDPE: Low-density Polyethylene is also used for making plastic bottles but it is less rigid and less durable.
Silicone products are always better than plastic ones because they are safer than plastics, BPA free, don’t add to environmental waste, doesn’t emit toxins, sturdy and durable, recyclable, and long-lasting.
How To Make A Collapsible Water Bottle?
You can also create a DIY collapsible water bottle on your own at home and use it. Here’s an easy tutorial to make a collapsible water bottle.
Things you’ll need:
- An empty plastic water/soda bottle
- A pair of scissors
- A BPA-free, food-grade zip lock pouch
- Hot glue
- Take the empty bottle, cut it around the neck and divide it into two pieces. Keep the top part with the attached cap and discard the bottom part.
- Cut a circular hole around one of the corners of the zip lock bag (a corner opposite the zip lock side). The diameter of the hole should be less than the diameter of the cut bottle.
- Now, put the bottle piece and put it through the hole so that the portion with the cap is facing outside. Attach the bottle and the bag together with hot glue.
- Now, close the zip lock and fill the pack with water. You now have a collapsible water bottle made from scratch.
To understand the process better, watch this YouTube video